- Omega 3 fatty acids: best source: fish. Due to mercury content of a lot of seafood, it is best to be cautious. Eat 12 ounces/week of low-mercury fish such as:
- Canned light tuna, salmon, trout (fresh water), anchovies, calamari, caviar, crab (king), whitefish, scallops, herring, sole, salmon, shrimp, clams, oysters, sardines.
- Supplement with an omega 3, 6, 9 plant based product such as Udo’s oil. 1-2 tablespoons/ day
- Iron: Check levels and if low supplement. Source suggestion: Floradix liquid or hemoplex. Foods: dark, leafy greens, beets, red meat, grains, beans, legumes etc. 10 mg iron: ¼ cup of pumpkin seeds/ 1/2 cup tofu. 5 mg iron: 1 cup spinach/ chickpeas/ kidney beans/soya beans/ whole wheat flour/ 100mg mussels/ 1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses/1 tablespoon kelp granules/ 100 g fried apricots. To assimilate properly iron absorption needs folic acid, Vit C, B6, B12, calcium & copper.
- Whole grains: 6 ounces per day. Especially at breakfast (7-8 grain porridge) and lunch. Kamut, brown rice, wild rice, quinoa, bulgur, barley…
- Fruit & veggies: 2 cups fruit & 3 cups veggies per day. Choose lots of variety in colour. Seasonal and local is best. Choose organic where possible.
- Pre-natal vitamin: best 6-12 months prior. You need Vitamin A, B Complex, Folic acid (B9), Vit C, Vit D, Vit E, Vit F (Essential fatty acid), Vit K, calcium, iron, zinc.
Caution: Salmonella poisoning (raw meat, eggs, chicken); Listeria (raw milk, soft-ripened cheese, ice cream, raw vegetables, fermented raw-meat sausages, raw and cooked poultry, raw meat), deli meats, re-heated meat or poultry, BBQ meat or poultry if undercooked, foods that come into contact with raw meat, pate, marinated meat, uncooked eggs, prepared deli salads, unpasteurized cheese or dairy.